West Coast Swing Addicts!
Fun people, great music! Beginners always welcome!
Pop, club, blues, R&B music.
Come out and experience the magic of
West Coast Swing dancing in Edmonton!
West Coast Swing is a fun, casual partner dance done to pop, club or blues music. It can be done fast or slow, and there are great opportunities for improvisation and working with the music.
This dance is for people who:
- Are absolute beginners with no dance experience
- Want to dance to current, modern music
- Want to meet and dance with lots of people
- Want to learn a dance with some structure, but still have room to improvise and work with the music
- Want to dance swing, but not as fast or intensely as east coast swing or jive
First Timer, Beginner Tips:
- Shoes: Wear something comfortable to move in. Avoid too high a heel, or heavy rubber soles.
- Dress: Casual, comfortable. You’ll be moving a lot!
- Lesson: Will be for beginners just like you. Most people will rotate and switch partners
throughout the lesson. Great way to meet everyone!
- Partner: Not required, but bring ’em if you’ve got ’em.
Have a question? Contact us!
Other Regional West Coast Swing Events and Workshops:
WCSS Intervention VIII – Phil and Flore Berne. Saskatoon, SK, September 2020 More details.
Calgary Dance Stampede – CANCELLED 2020 – Calgary AB. calgarydancestampede.com
January 2021 – Vancouver, BC – swingcouver.com
Extreme Swing – Calgary, AB
WCSA Dance Event Details:
Admission: $10 / person. Bottled water available for $1.
Join our group on Facebook to hear about more dance opportunities and events!
Dances take place at Bonnie Doon Community Hall 9240 93 Street, Edmonton.
Want to stay up to date? Join our Facebook group.
Or join our MeetUp Group.
Need some west coast swing music right now? http://www.radiowcs.com
More articles and tips from Myles and Tessa:
Become a member!
Have you attended our dances and want to help shape the future? Become a member! Its free!
Stay safe everyone!
All 2020 WCSA Dances Suspended due to COVID-19 Until Further Notice
List of suspended dates for reference:
- Friday, March 27
- Friday, April 17
- Friday, May 8
- Friday, May 22
- Friday, June 5
- Friday, June 19
- Friday, July 10
- Friday, July 24
- Friday, August 14
- Friday, August 28
- Friday, September 11
- Friday, September 25
- Friday, October 16
- Friday, November 6
- Friday, November 20
- Friday, December 4
- Friday, December 18
- Friday, December 31 – New Years Dance!
At our last board meeting, the issue of ‘teaching on the floor’ was raised. ‘Teaching on the floor’ is when a dancer gives their partner unsolicited advice or critiques their dancing on the social dance floor At our meeting we heard recent stories of new dancers getting asked to dance,
What a great turnout to end of 2019! For our last dance of 2019 on December 20 we brought in lights and sound courtesy of Trevor Mullen, along with some Christmas goodies. We gave away prizes with our ‘dance with everyone’ wristbands. Three dancers were given special wristbands, and when